Overbey, Hawkins & Wright, PLLC
1.800.201.9987 (Toll-Free)

What do I do if I am injured in a car accident?

You’re involved in an accident and you think you might be hurt. What should you do?

1. When the police officer arrives, don’t tell him that you are not hurt. If you say that you think that you might have some injuries, but you don’t want to go to the hospital, that’s okay. You don’t have to go to the hospital. But if you say you’re not hurt and you’re having aches and pains, the officer is going to write in his report that you are not injured and that may hurt you later if you find out that you’re having more problems than you thought you were going to have.
2. If you are hurting, go to the hospital. If you don’t want to go to the hospital you can go to your family doctor or an urgent care office of some kind. It needs to be documentation as to the injuries that you have. You need to go immediately, or as soon as possible. You can go the next day, but you need to go quickly.
3. Tell your doctor everything that is hurting you, not just those things that seem like they are hurting you the most. Sometimes, further down the road the things that may seem minor at the scene or the hospital. So be sure to mention everything that is hurting you.
4. Phone your own insurance company. Why do you phone your own insurance company if someone else caused the accident? Well, there might be problems with the insurance, but you need to let them know so they can investigate if they need to.
Lastly, call an attorney. At our office, the initial consultation is free.