Overbey, Hawkins & Wright, PLLC
1.800.201.9987 (Toll-Free)

Am I required to have liability insurance in Virginia?

My name is Brandon Osterbind and I am an attorney at Overbey, Hawkins & Wright. In Virginia, you must have at least $25,000 in liability automobile insurance or you must pay $500.00 to the Department of Motor Vehicles for the uninsured motorist fund.

Practically, we advise that you should maintain at least $250,000 in liability insurance policy limits and an equal amount for uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. That way, if you are ever hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver, you are probably sufficiently protected financially. However, if you suffer a catastrophic injury, even this will not protect you financially. You should discuss this with a Virginia attorney to determine how much insurance you should purchase.